Friday, October 19, 2012

"I hate your hair and I think it is ugly."

Today I am thankful for . . .

894.  The gift of A Compliment on My Hair from one of my students.  In the culture that my students have been brought-up in, shorter hairstyles are kind of taboo.  None of my students (or their moms) have ever cut their hair.  Last week one of the girls (aged 9) told me this:  "I hate your hair and I think it is ugly."  Today another girl (aged 11) told me:  "Your hair looks nice when it's short."  The 11-year old had no clue about what the 9-year old had told me last week. But her comment totally made my day, especially since I was having a really bad hair day.:(

895.  The gift of Man Camp.  Wayne is currently experiencing his dream life (minus his family, but we can't go with him, so he's flying solo).

896.  The gift of Movie Night with the Boys.  While it may not be the most exciting movie out there (especially for 11 and 13 year-old boys), we started the epic tale of The Ten Commandments tonight.  We got about half-way through and I realized I wasn't going to be able to complete the entire 3 and a 1/2 hour journey through the life of Moses without falling asleep.  In Social Studies/History, we are currently studying the life of the Israelites during their captivity in Egypt, so this movie is serving two purposes -- entertainment and (perhaps) a bit of education.  We'll complete the rest of the movie tomorrow.

No comments: