Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Pay It Forward

Today I am thankful for . . .

515.  The gift of The Ability to Call-In Sick to work.  I have WAY more sick hours than I could ever use.  Actually, I figured it out once and I could miss half the year by "calling in sick" if I used up all my sick time, and still get paid for all the days I called in.  If only they would pay us out for those unused hours . . .  

I woke up feeling horrible this morning.  Tight chest (it felt prickly and sore), no voice and light-headedness.  I tried to get ready to go to work, but I realized very early on in my attempt to do so that I would have to stay home.  I only have four more days of work left and then it's the summer holidays!

516.  The gift of Anticipating the Potential Meeting of another blogger, face-to-face!  This may be happening very soon, and I'm really looking forward to it.  I hope it all works out!

517.  The gift of Movies With A Message.  While almost every movie out there has some sort of "theme", there are some movies that are more impactful than others.  A couple of weeks ago, Pay It Forward was on T.V., so I taped it on our PVR.  This morning the boys and I watched it . . . kind of.  We got to (almost) the end of the movie, and it quit.  I neglected to add more time at the end of my PVR recording process, and the channel I was taping obviously didn't set its programming up properly, so now I'm in need of the movie in DVD form so that the boys and I can finish it.  This is one movie that must be viewed to. the. end. in order to get the full impact/message.  Pay It Forward is one of my all-time favourite movies and even after watching it several times, I still cry through a lot of it.  And the crying is going to get worse once we watch the last ten minutes.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I am so sorry that you are not feeling well, but at least, like you say, you have the ability to call in sick and not have to worry.

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the fact that your school is still in session. In the US, kids (in MA anyway) have been done since about the 15th. It took me years to get used to the fact that they don't go through until the end of June like in Canada.

AND...GET THIS...if you are a senior...the year when work and grades and everything else should be situation critical in my books, you are all done...finals and EVERYTHING by the very beginning of JUNE! So kids put in 180 days every year except for the year when they should really be applying themselves.

AND...of that last week that they are around??? It is nothing but rehearsal for graduation (which is no more complicated that what I did in MJ, and I don't remember us rehearsing over and over), and filled with end of the year class trips...I think Matthew went on at least two big ones.

AAAAAANNNNNDDDD their last days are only partial days filled with lots of grad parties (HUGE grad parties to celebrate the student...picture tents, catered food, friends and family who are expected to bring monetary gifts, displays of photos and memorabilia, etc.) It is a huge cultural phenomenon that we have yet to fully embrace because of how insane it all seems to us.

But I digress...we will talk soon.

Hope you are feeling better.

Kimmy said...

Yes, Michelle, I've gathered from USA Facebook friends that schools in the States have been over for a while. Our last "school day" is the 29th of June (just for picking up report cards, but where I work we end on the 27th :)
When do your schools begin again in the fall? This year we don't begin again until after the Labour Day weekend, but this is the first year they're doing this. Usually they begin around August 27th or so,and go til as close to June 30th as possible.