Saturday, January 14, 2012

Read It For Yourself


This afternoon I finished reading One Thousand Gifts.

I've shared my thoughts on the book in a couple of previous posts, and I was going to share more, but I think I'm going to refrain and just suggest that you read it for yourself.  My words cannot begin to explain the thought-process of the author behind the quotes I've provided thus far, and actually, I think I've probably created more confusion or controversy by only giving a snippet of the book, since a quote is just a glimpse into the bigger picture.

The book impacted me greatly, and in fact, next to the Bible, it might be one of the most life-changing books I've ever read.  Through the pages of the book and the words of the author, Ann Voskamp, I have made some discoveries about myself . . . and have acknowledged some things I've refused to change, some things I've wanted to change, but wasn't exactly sure how to go about making those changes.  I believe this book has provided me with an avenue to help make those changes.

I have come to realize that I am a very selfish, ungrateful person; maybe that's not so evident on the outside, but in my heart, it is.  The past two weeks have brought about the beginnings of change to my selfish heart.  I have given some things over to God that I should have given Him long ago and it truly has opened up a whole new world for me.  I can say that I am more grateful today than I was on January 1, 2012.

So with that, I leave you with a recommendation to find the book, read it with your heart wide open and allow God to speak to you.  I know there will be critics out there, but for me this was an excellent read.  I really enjoyed the writing style and life-application of the words.  It is a book that I plan to purchase and read again in the future.

Today, I am thankful for . . .

40.  The gift of Hearing Joyful News; Recently, I've been thrilled to find out that couples who had given up hope of ever conceiving again, find themselves expecting another baby!  I was just informed of this yet again today, and shivers went up my spine when I heard the news.  So far this is couple number 3 in as many months:)

41.  The gift of Rice Bubbling and Cooking on the Stove.

42.  The gift of Finding a Black Sharpie Marker that hasn't dried out.

No comments: