Friday, November 1, 2013

Friday's Feast #7

Appetizer

If you were a color, which color would you be, and why?

Pink, of course!  Pink is cheerful and happy.  Pink is youthful and joyful.  Pink is a celebratory colour.

Soup

When was the last time you went to the doctor, and what was your reason for going?

I recently had an appointment with a vascular surgeon.  He's put me onto a waiting list for surgery to remove a (supposedly) benign cyst that has emerged from the back of my throat to the front of my throat.  There is a special name for the type of cyst I have, but I can't remember what it is.  All I know is that I've had it my entire life, but in half of the cases of patients having this type of cyst, it emerges prior to the age of 20, and in the other half, it emerges after the age of 20.  Mine emerged at the end of January 2013, and it likely won't be until January 2014 that the surgeon removes it. 

Salad

What do you collect?

I have collected numerous things throughout my lifetime, including hockey cards and polar bear items.  Currently I don't have a collection on-the-go, but I seem to always be collecting recipes.  :)

Main Course

What were you like in high school? Name one thing you miss and one thing you don't miss about those days.

I think the best way to sum me up as a high-school student is, "Goody Two-Shoes".  My head was full of idealistic and legalistic thinking patterns, and my worldview was so small.  I lacked confidence and told myself that I was ugly almost every day of my teen life.  I lived to please people and thought I would earn brownie points with God by pleasing every person in my life.  However, I did have firm convictions about behaviours that teens are typically known to engage in, such as sex outside of marriage, drinking, smoking, dancing, etc.  I didn't engage in any of that, and likely came across as a judgmental "Mennonite Girl" to those I crossed paths with.  For the record, I still don't engage in any of the aforesaid behaviors.  However, I believe that having a better understanding of God and God's grace has freed me from being the naïve, judgmental teenager I once was, and my reasons for abstaining from certain behaviours go beyond following a list of "Do's & Don'ts".

Some things I miss about my high school days is attending Youth Group and Youth Sunday school.  I had great leaders and teachers who truly loved me and accepted me for who I was.  I also had a really good group of friends that seemed to understand me.  Another thing I miss is Home-Economics Class.  We had to travel to neighbouring town to attend Home-Ec. at their school, since our school didn't have a Home-Ec. lab.  My Home-Ec. teacher was the best teacher ever. 

What I don't miss is my poor self-image and the feelings of rejection I faced almost daily while attending high school.

Dessert


Pretend you're standing in front of your home, with your back towards your home. Describe the view - what can you see? Trees? Cars? A zoo? Wal-Mart?

I live on an acreage, so what I see is our driveway (which, I might add, is in desperate need of gravel), a corral (for horses that we do not own), and trees, trees and more trees.  I love the hundreds (or maybe even thousands) of trees that we have on our property.

1 comment:

~Rain``` said...

High School can be such a terrible time for self-image. I understand. I was there too.

You are beautiful. Tell yourself that. Because you are. :)