Saturday, January 19, 2013

God's Grace for Me is Revolutionary

So, when your mind spends most of the day repeating the mantra, "Grace Lives Here", you really have to wonder what kind of negativity is being reflected in the heart, and in the words/actions of the person who requires that much reminding of grace in her life.  The "her" I refer to is myself.   

The more I realize and understand God's grace, the less gracious I am finding myself to be.  In a weird sort of way, I guess that's a good thing.  It means I have room to grow.  Believe me, I have LOTS of room to grow.  It also means that my heart is seeking guidance from the Holy Spirit, and because I am allowing Him "space" in that part of my heart, which I was obviously trying to hide (big emphasis on the word trying here, since there is no way to keep any secrets from God), my thought life and outward life should reflect more of Christ and less of my sinful nature.  I guess you could say that I'm beginning to work on an attitude adjustment--an attitude that I didn't even realize needed adjusting, until recently.

Right along with this attitude adjustment has come the awareness that I've been too hard on myself for too long.  I have been slowly learning about how to deal with my own guilt over things that have already been covered by God's grace . . . not just covered, but washed away by His grace. I grew up feeling guilty about what I was or was not doing for people, to people, to myself, etc.  Many of my feelings and actions have been guilt-driven, not grace-driven.  It has not been a fun way to live, and God's been showing me where much of these feelings stem from, and how I need to be dealing with them. It's been a slow process, but I feel like I am making some progress.

Experiencing the grace of God is freeing.  Extending grace to humankind is necessary.  Accepting God's grace for me is revolutionary.  May you experience grace in your life today.

"Grace is the voice that calls us to change
and then gives us the power to pull it off." 
~Max Lucado~

1 comment:

~Rain``` said...

You really hit the nail on the head, so to speak. When we live a guilt-driven life, we focus much on "I". Grace shifts the focus to where it should be all along: God. Very freeing!