Thursday, July 19, 2012

One. Day. At. A. Time. BREATHE

The title to my post is also my current Facebook status line.  I'm feeling a tad overwhelmed right now--I'll tell you why in a couple of weeks--after something happens which is currently consuming much of my thoughts and time.

I LOVE to entertain.  I love to plan events.  I love to prepare food for events.  I love to decorate for events.  I love the outcome of events.  I love to sit back and watch something that took mere minutes OR many months to plan . . . resulting in the guests having an enjoyable time.

However, there is a certain level of stress that occurs when you are the planner of events.  For some people, it is this stress that actually prevents them from ever embarking on the type of event I am currently working on.  I know that everything I have "in the works" will come to fruition.  But at this point, I'm not sure if everything will be ready on time, or if everything will run as smoothly as I hope (and pray) it will.  And I am also not sure that all the fine details are actually going to come together in the end.  But . . . and here's a BIG but, I HAVE TO BE OKAY WITH THE END RESULT, no matter what.  In the actual moment of this event, all I will be able to say is, "It is what it is." and be okay with that.

I get much satisfaction from using my God-given talents and abilities.  It is not because I desire accolades in the end.  Those are nice; but what gives me the greatest joy is the fact that others can experience a blessing because I used my gifts in the best way possible.  They are gifts, after all, and what use is any gift if it just sits on a shelf, especially if it is a gift that MUST be used in order to be beneficial?  For much of my life, my gifts were "hidden away" so-to-speak, but in the last several years, I have been more intentional in using my gifts, particularly those of hospitality, administration and encouragement, in an effort to make other people feel important, special and welcome in our home.  My negligence in utilizing my gifts in the past can be blamed on one thing:  fear of rejection.  However, I've come A LONG WAY in the department of my self-confidence and self-esteem, and that is partly due to the fact that I've been taking risks when it comes to using my gifts and talents for God's greater purposes, as opposed to hiding my gifts away somewhere deep within me.

So, my challenge to you is . . . are you using your gifts (I'm talking spiritual gifts here, but really, any talent or ability we possess that could potentially be used to edify the body of Christ, or to reflect the light of Christ in our lives, is a God-given gift, talent, or ability)?  Is there some gift you know you possess that you are scared to utilize because of underlying fears?  Do you need to seek opportunities to use your gifts?  Sometimes you have to get creative in order to do that.  Do you need help figuring out what you are gifted at/in?  Take the time to analyze your passions and your abilities.  In my personal experience, passion and gifts go hand-in-hand, and that is what makes them even more enjoyable to use.

So, that's my little sermon for the day.  I hope you can find contentment by serving God by using the gifts he has assigned to A Very Unique You.

Today I am thankful for . . .

608.  The gift of Hazelnut Mulch, which now covers the landscape fabric that I spoke of in a previous post.  Ty helped me spread it all out and make the flowerbed look pretty.  Then he and I went around the yard and "picked" dead-heads off of the flowers that require that kind of maintenance.  He told me he enjoys gardening.  I think he's good at it.  Better than I am, that's for sure.  I think I'll be hiring him as my future landscaper.

609.  The gift of Visiting a Friend and Her Two Adorable (almost two-year old) Twin Boys.  Mitchell and Ty had so much fun playing with these toddlers, while their mom and I chatted over the best coffee I've ever drank in another home.  She told me her secret to making the coffee taste so unique, but yet, so delicious.  I'm going to try it--but I don't think it's something my husband is going to necessarily enjoy.  I may have to make my own fresh pot of coffee after Wayne gets his share at the start of the day.

610.  The gift of Finding Inspiration, which is pretty inevitable when you visit a store like Home Sense.  This is one of my favourite places to browse and dream.  Unfortunately, my boys don't enjoy it that much, so I had to cut my visit to the store short today--but the next time I'm alone . . . I'm going to savour every moment in that store.

No comments: