Friday, July 20, 2012

Coffee, Chocolate and Cafe Au Lait

Today I am thankful for . . .

611.  The gift of A New Take on Coffee.  (I know I already eluded to this in yesterday's post, but it deserves a mention again.)  I'm not sure if I've blogged about this before (probably not), but I originally was a black coffee coffee drinker.  A few years ago I discovered flavoured creamers (like International Delights) and could not return to drinking my coffee black.  Last summer I became very ill every time I would drink coffee with a flavoured creamer--drinking a McDonald's Iced Coffee or a Tim Horton's Iced Capp would also make me feel really sick--so I decided to stop consuming those items, and my severe nausea went away.  But, because of the fact that I was now "used to" having a creamy, sweet coffee, it was hard to even imagine drinking my coffee black again.  Yesterday when the boys and I were visiting my friend and her boys, she served us some pretty amazing coffee.  Her secret was adding cinnamon to the coffee grounds before she brewed the coffee.  Today I made mine and Wayne's coffee as per normal (without the cinnamon in the grounds), but I added the cinnamon to my coffee afterwards and stirred it in until it dissolved.  It tasted almost as good as my initial cup yesterday, but I'm not sure if Wayne is going to go for this new taste (maybe I'll have to sneak-in a pot next week while he's on holidays and see if he notices . . . )  In any case, I am glad that I have found an alternative to drinking my coffee with real cream (or half-and-half) and sugar--less calories and probably better for me.

612.  The gift of Chocolate and Cafe Au Lait Paint.  Yes, more painting was accomplished today.  This time, my entranceway, which was long overdue for an upgrade.  The dogs have done a lot of damage to the walls (long story) and trim, so I finally decided to start working at making it a better area.  One wall is now Chocolate Brown and the other three walls were painted with a paint that I bought in a discount shelf at Rona, so there was no name on it.  I like to call it 'Cafe Au Lait' because that's what it looks like to me.  Next week Wayne will work on replacing the trim . . . I've got to paint the window trim and I'd really like to find some inexpensive window treatments that are more modern than what I've got, but I'll have to see about that.  I may have to wait until I return to my job in the fall.

613.  The gift of Hearing My Boys Enjoy Their Made-Up Games.  This afternoon while I was painting, they spent three hours playing outside with water . . . in various ways.  It sounded like fun.  But the best part is that they weren't fighting much, which is a bonus for me right now.  I'm not sure why, but for the past week they have been doing more fighting, arguing, bickering, whatever you want to call it, than they normally do, and it's really quite annoying.

1 comment:

Kimmie said...

a few of the doctors offices my family goes to have signs posted that people in the office are allergic to french vanilla coffee and it isn't allowed in the building. not sure what they would be allergic to in it, but I've seen the sign now in three different offices.

enjoy your Viennese coffee (coffee that is flavored with cinnamon)...you might be able to do it with a cinnamon stick in your grounds too.

happy painting!

Kimmie
mama to 8
one homemade and 7 adopted