Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentines, Schmalentines

Yes, it is Valentine's Day in the world today, but pretty-much a normal day in my world (aside from the VERY pink cupcakes I shared with my many "loves" today:) . . . I am totally okay with that.  My husband's early years of Valentine's Day celebration efforts were pretty good.  But, as time wore on and our budget became super-tight, Wayne and I both decided that in all reality, Valentine's Day could happen at any time during the year - after all, we are to love each other every day, not just on Valentine's Day.  I love celebrating holidays . . . my husband, not so much.  So, I have basically lowered my expectations to zero, which makes the hurt non-existent. Without expectations, there is no room for disappointment.

You may think that I'm feeling sorry for myself, and that my husband and I must have a pathetic marriage since we didn't really acknowledge Valentine's Day, but you would be wrong on both assumptions.  I enjoy the no-pressure attitude that my husband and I have formulated, which actually gives us the opportunity to cultivate our love in a variety of ways throughout the year, on a daily basis.  I love my husband greatly and I know he loves me.  I hear the words, "I Love You" every day from him.  I am truly blessed.  My boys tell me that they love me too, so I am even more blessed.

But, for the record, I will wish YOU all a Happy Valentine's Day!

Today, I am thankful for . . .

133.  The gift of Witnessing Excited Anticipation from My Students as they realized they were getting a "Pinkalicious" cupcake from me today.

134.  The gift of A Peaceful Drive Home from work each day; travelling to and from work is the only real "alone" time I have each day; I usually use this time to pray, worship and think.

135.  The gift of Amazing, Perfect Love, which can only be given by my Loving Father God, His Son Jesus, and the Holy Spirit.

2 comments:

~Rain``` said...

Totally relate. My husband and I keep Valentines very low key due to budget as well. If I want something small, I just communicate it: "Honey, I want a hand written note and some chocolate." And he delivers! All good.

Stacey said...

i usually treat the kids to some cute things (most of the time it's stuff i got last year at half-price!!), but otherwise the "holiday" of valentines gets a little crazy and over the top. i mean WHO really wants/needs a HUGE stuffed animal!