Thursday, April 7, 2011

Synopsis

I will try to make this short and sweet.

I have lots of thoughts swirling around in my head but not enough time in my day to sit down and give those thoughts justice in a blog post.

So, here's how "things are going".

1.  Homeschooling
Homeschooling is THE best thing we could have ever done for our son.  I am happy to report that my feelings of being overwhelmed by it all were minimal and short-lived.  The curriculum is basically running itself and I do not have to spend as much time "preparing for the next day" like I did at the beginning of this all.  I think we've finally found our groove and sticking with it.  I think the most difficult thing for me personally has been the reactions of people in the school and community from which we removed our son.  It's interestingly funny how the people who feel most compelled to share their "two-cents worth" are the very parents of the kids who were doing the majority of the bullying.  We continue to press on, following the plan we feel God has laid before us with regards to educating our son.

2.  The Other Son
It seems like this blog has devoted much of my thoughts regarding Mitchell; but in all reality, I have another amazing son who has his own struggles.  His biggest challenge is boredom.  Ty is in constant need of something to do and there are times that I am at a loss as to how to help him with this.  He claims we never do anything, go anywhere, see anyone, etc. which isn't true.  I guess our life just isn't exciting enough for him.  However, I've registered both him and Mitchell for a spring ball-hockey league, which will take place on Tuesdays and Thursdays during the months of May and June.  We are all SO excited about this.  The only drawback is that the boys do not qualify to play in the same age group, which means I may have some interesting juggling to do with regards to their playing times and locations.  However, I'm hoping and praying that those rare instances of scheduling conflicts will be on the days that Wayne is working days and not nights.

3.  Books
I've given up several favorite t.v. shows since the start of homeschooling Mitchell, only to have some of that time replaced by reading.  I have a goal to read 26 books by the end of 2011.  That may not sound like many to most people, but for me, someone who has never claimed to be an avid reader, this will be a huge accomplishment.  I seriously cannot wait for my "book time" at the end of each day.  I now understand how reading could consume so much of a person's day.  I wish I could allow it to consume more of my time.

4.  Work
I am actually really enjoying my job and am looking forward to returning to the same school next year.  What I love about my job is the flexibility I have, the great people I work with and the fact that I have 2 or 3 days off per week which helps me stay on top of the homeschooling stuff.  The kids that I work with are very near and dear to my heart, even though they continue to amuse me with interesting behaviors and challenges.

5.  Friendships
Over the past year I have been able to deepen some of my relationships with women who were merely acquaintances not so long ago.  Unfortunately, some other friendships seem to be losing steam and I'm not sure why.  I am trying to make an effort to keep all my friendships "nurtured", but sometimes that is impossible simply due to life getting in the way.  I'm going to write a separate blog post on this, but for the past 8 months I've been blessed by something called "Cheesecake Fridays", a monthly get-together for women that I initiated under the direction of the Holy Spirit.  It's been a huge encouragement to me and I am so fortunate to have a wonderful group of women to connect with each month.

So, there you go.  That's all I have time for right now.  My life in an nutshell.  More later:)

4 comments:

michelle said...

I always enjoy your updates and I am thrilled to hear that homeschooling is working well for you. Oh, how I wish I lived closer so that we could visit.

Michelle

~Rain``` said...

Thanks so much for the update Kimmy! Lots of GREAT things going on in your life!

Lovella said...

Thanks for the update, Kim. Sounds like you guys are in a good space right now, and I'm SO glad to hear that Mitchell's homeschooling is going so well and that he's so much happier. I'm sure the boys will really enjoy the ball hockey as well. As far as the friendships go, I think it's just the way of life for some friendships to become closer and others to drift away to something less than that. I don't think it's anything you need to feel guilty about. Love you lots!!

Stacey said...

i love a good synopsis!