Thursday, February 1, 2007

Better Results This Time!

Today was another school skating day. (For those of you who haven't read my previous post regarding my feeling like an alien in recent weeks, click on "Older Posts" at the bottom of this page and scroll to January 22, 2007 for the full story.) I'm pleased to report that my experience was much better today than it was last week. I haven't exchanged phone numbers or made coffee dates with anyone yet, but I actually had a couple of conversations with some of the other moms who were there. One of them even introduced herself to me and extended her hand for a handshake. I'm wondering if she's new to the area too. . . I haven't seen her at skating days before, but she was friendly enough to make me feel "welcome", which is something I've been needing.

Before I left the house to meet up with the boys for skating, I decided that I'd have a good attitude about this whole alien thing, and make more of an effort myself, instead of relying on the locals to make the first move. I've come to the conclusion that in order for this to work, and in order for me to gain some friendships, I may have to put more effort into making friends than I have in the past. The people here are in a comfort zone, of which I am not a part of yet. Eventually I'll succeed at my goal but it's going to take time. All I know is that I'm going to try to be way more conscientious the next time I'm in a setting where I'm comfortable and there's someone "new" hiding in the shadows. I don't want anyone else to feel alienated from the world they exist in like I have this past month.

I've got two more school skating days which will enable me to make more (and better) connections, I hope. One thing that I do know that's happening is the kids on the ice are interested in getting to know me. And in all reality, since those are the people with whom my kids hang around with, I'd better get to know them too!

2 comments:

Susannah said...

Skating... one of my alltime favourite childhood activities. (My Mom was a skating teacher.) I hope your new friendships blossom soon.

Becky said...

That's so great Kim! I've been praying for you! I'm so happy things are feeling better out there.