Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Moving Day - Part Two

No pictures with this report, just an update about the rest of our move. It seems so long ago, but at the time it was pretty intense and mostly frustrating. I thought it was never going to be over!

In my post entitled, "Moving Day - Part One" I made note of the fact that the moving process was still several hours away from completion, but we anticipated that we'd be all done by midnight of the 16th. WRONG! Because of the horrible weather, and possibly because we own too much stuff, we had to spend another whole day moving. Yes, your calculations are correct and we had to complete our move on a Sunday. Tsk! Tsk! We only did this because we were desperate to get the move completed. We were borrowing moving equipment, we only had help for one or two days, and we needed to be out of our place within a couple of days after we did the big move. Needless to say, I wasn't thrilled about continuing the move on a Sunday, but we didn't really have a choice in the matter. And of course I underestimated the amount of time the continued move would take . . . we got back to our "old" house around 9:45 p.m. on Sunday night! Crazy! I'm not doing this again (by my choice) for a very, very long time.

After moving our belongings from our old house to our new house, I had the daunting task of cleaning our entire house (the one that we sold). The realtor informed me later that this was a big bonus for the person moving in, and it better have been a bonus! My old house has never been cleaner! I was almost envious over the fact that our buyer was getting such a clean home, when I knew that the house we had just moved into was in need of a major clean and was FULL of boxes!

So, upon arriving at our new home on the acreage, I have slowly but surely been unpacking, organizing, and cleaning as I go. We had our first guests over four days after Christmas, and that was a big motivating factor for Wayne and I to get the main floor looking acceptable. It looks quite fine now, although there is still a huge need for a painting makeover.

I love our new place, and I keep telling Wayne over and over, "I love my house, I love my house." He loves it too, but for him the outdoors is what he finds more appealing. The boys really enjoy the extra space and fresh air as well.

We've been here for 2 weeks now, and I have not regretted our decision to move one little bit!

Once I've got some painting done, I'll post some before and after pictures for you to see. I'm still finalizing my decisions on paint colors, and of course, I need the time to get started on this. The boys start school tomorrow, so that should free up some of my time during the day at least.

P.S. Christmas away from the "move/move-in process" was great! We spent a couple of (mostly) relaxing days at my parents' place. We played lots of games and ate lots. What more could I have asked for after 3 months of stress?

No comments: