Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Dead Wheels


We purchased a 1999 Saturn SL1 back in November of 1998. This car has served us well. However, in the past year it has started to "fall apart". Since purchasing the car, we've replaced the battery(once), a/c fan blower (twice), hubcap (once), tires (2 once, 2 twice), u-joint (once), heater motor (once), ballast (once) and I think that's it. But overall we can't complain, because we've driven it almost 300,000 km. already. Most of the repairs have taken place in the last 18 months or so, with the exception of the tires. They've been replaced sporadically over the last 3 years.


Exactly one month ago today, we purchased a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins diesel truck (no minivans for us!), and this was to become our "second vehicle", for Wayne to use as an alternate to the car on the days when I need transportation. We realized the car was on its "last leg", and being on the acreage required us to think about getting something heavy-duty for numerous jobs around the place, including snow removal. We're going to get a snow blade for the front of the truck so that we don't have to rely on our neighbors to plough snow for us when the need arises in the future. We're really enjoying the truck. The back seat of the Dodge has just as much space as the front seat of our Saturn! Plus, it's got a DVD player with 2 sets of wireless headphones for the boys to use in the back seat. There is a lot less fighting taking place in the back seat of the truck than there was in the back seat of the car.

Today was a day when I needed the truck while Wayne was at work. He's working the afternoon/evening shift for the next two weeks, so the plan was that he'd take the car to work today and I'd use to truck to take Mitchell to Beavers, plus run some errands. The car started fine for Wayne, but by the time he got to the road at the end of our driveway, it lost all power and died. We're not sure what the problem is, and since Wayne needed to get to work on time, we towed the car back to our yard and he left as quickly as possible. I tried starting it again, but all that happened when I put the key into the ignition is the dashboard lit up and there was just the sound of a "click" when I tried to start it. We're not sure what the problem is, but it could be the alternator. Fortunately for us, Wayne is mechanically-inclined and if it is the alternator, he can likely fix it himself. We just need to get the parts.

I want my car back! For over a year I've lived without access to a second vehicle, and after getting the truck, I was relieved that I had some of my independence back. Now I'm frustrated because with the car not working, it may mean that we're back to one vehicle again, which means I may be stranded at times, with no way to "get out" when I need to. Plus, being in the country means that in case of an emergency, I'd have to rely on neighbors to help me get to where I need to go if Wayne's got our only vehicle at work with him.

I'm praying for a miracle with this . . . that the repair isn't too complex or expensive; and that I have some sort of transportation available to me sooner than later.


1 comment:

Janelle said...

i'm totally with you when it comes to vehicle problems! i used to think only super old cars broke down - but that's not true anymore! i remember when Saturn's first came out! and yours is on it's last leg already! what?? that's crazy hey?
good luck! i know that a 2nd vehicle provides freedom! love the truck though - Rod & I hope to have one someday! :)
Blessings!