Wednesday, December 6, 2006

Can We Handle the Change?

Yesterday morning was a whirlwind of phone calls and activity. My phone started ringing as soon as I got back from taking Mitchell to school, and as a result of one phone call, I was thrown into an unexpected series of more phone calls, faxes, e-mails and frustration. Our deal for the acreage is supposed to close this Friday. However, the deal on our current house doesn't close until the 20th of December. The real estate company acting on our behalf has been taking their sweet time providing information to our lawyer.

Our lawyer's assistant called yesterday, very frustrated over the fact that despite her many attempts to obtain information from the realtor's office (stuff that she requires by Friday), things were not progressing as planned. I've contacted my real estate agent twice about this last week, and he advised all was well, so I never gave it another thought until yesterday. I knew we'd be signing papers this week, but apparently there are many documents the lawyer still requires in order to proceed with this transaction. Confirmation of insurance was another thing which the lawyer hadn't received. So, I proceeded to e-mail our insurance company requesting that they forward the appropriate paperwork to the lawyer. And our bank had not yet confirmed our interim financing, which we were told was already done. So, I can certainly understand why the lawyer's assistant was frazzled, and I was oblivious to the lack of action of the part of the three aforesaid parties. According to the lawyer's assistant, my reminding these companies and organizations to forward information to the lawyer was not my responsibility. They should have automatically forwarded the necessary documents to the lawyer without question or prompting.

We're meeting with our lawyer to sign "the documents" tomorrow at 9:45 a.m. I haven't heard anything from our lawyer's assistant since yesterday afternoon, so obviously she now has everything she needs in order for us to move forward with this transaction.

Talk about stress! This is one of the reasons I never proceeded to heavily pursue my career as a "legal" secretary . . . . the lawyer gets all the money and his assistant gets all the hassles. No, thanks. I did enjoy the course, though. And I did work for lawyers for 2 months and then realized I didn't really want to be employed by a company that was defending known criminals. I guess you could say that because of my personal beliefs/convictions, I was not able to continue working for the lawyers that employed me. Since my "Law Firm Experience", I've held other secretarial positions which I've enjoyed more than working at the law firm.

So, back to my day . . . After I had taken care of the logistical issues surrounding our real estate transaction, I was finally able to have my shower and get ready for the rest of the day. Next on my agenda was taking the boys to their new school, just to get a tour and meet their teachers. My boys will be transferring from an elementary school, K - Gr. 8 with about 330 kids, to a school K - Gr. 12 with 112 kids. This is a big change for them, but nothing new for me. Where I grew up we had a school almost exactly the same size as far as student enrolment goes. But the school where they will be attending is physically bigger (and nicer) than the school I attended. It felt like I was back "at home" when I stepped into the boys' new school yesterday. It was a good feeling. I was impressed with the teachers and I think the boys will do well. When we entered the Kindergarten classroom, Ty had some anxiety issues at first, but by the time we left he was doing much better. With some time and a lot of prayer, I think he'll be okay.

Since we'll be living in the country, the boys will be taking the bus, which is something new for them. I just found out yesterday that they'll be getting on the bus at 8:25 a.m. and they get dropped off after school around 3:15 p.m. I think we hit the jackpot with this arrangement! Where we live now (in town), we leave the house at 8:30 a.m. when we walk (which is almost all the time) and school only gets out at 3:15 p.m. so we rarely make it home by 3:30 p.m. The boys will get home earlier living in the country than when they lived in town. And for me a plus about the school bus is that I know the boys will be safe and sound going to and from school.

When we got home I was exhausted and wasn't able to accomplish too much last night with regards to packing. But today's been better and I cleaned out my fridge (this was long overdue) and have done some (more!) laundry.

I can't believe that in only two more sleeps mine and Wayne's dream is finally going to be a reality . . . owning an acreage! Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! God has blessed us so much!

No comments: