Thursday, November 16, 2006

HOUSE Fixation

For once I'm not going to be talking about our house. Not our current house, not our future house. I'm going to write about one of my favorite T.V. shows, House, starring (from left to right in the picture) Omar Epps, Jennifer Morrison, Hugh Laurie, Robert Sean Leonard, Jesse Spencer and Lisa Edelstein. Boy, I hope I got that all right. That list was from memory, based on watching the show every week, seeing the names of the actors flash on the screen momentarily. There aren't many shows of which I watch the "intro" to each week. But for some reason, House is one of them. I like the music and the way that the pictures and music flow together. Some shows just have better intros than others.

There is something strangely alluring and intriguing about this show. It's a medical show, where the doctors specialize in diagnosing mystery illnesses. And I really enjoy medical shows. But it is the interpersonal relationships and personalities of the characters that I find most intriguing.

The main character, Dr. Gregory House is a very insensitive, tell-it-like-it is ALL THE TIME, kind of person. As a diagnostic doctor, he's brilliant. But as a person, he sucks. Nobody really likes him, and the one friend he does have (Dr. James Spencer), is constantly challenging him on his relational skills, or lack thereof, as well as his questionable medical decisions and practises, which creates another dynamic I find interesting.

For some people, the reality that someone like Dr. House actually exists is probably hard to stomach. But, unfortunately there are people like him in this world. People who are emotionally stale, their hearts surrounding by such huge walls that you feel like you're never going to break through them. They don't appear to have an empathetic bone in their body. They may be very intellectually sound, but are unable to achieve much relational success. Sadly, people like this do exist. I do know someone with these tendencies. Fortunately for this person they've accepted Christ and so they are not as harsh and hard line as Dr. House, but I have to wonder what their sensitivity level would be like if Christ were not in their lives? I don't think they realize they come across as being insensitive and uncaring. This is just "who they are" and they don't reveal the empathetic and sensitive side of God's nature that some other Christians do.

I know personalities have much to do with how we "come across" in the area of empathy. Some people are just gifted with being more merciful, caring and compassionate than others. I myself did not score high on my spiritual gifts test in the area of Mercy. That means I have to make that much more of an effort to be caring and concerned for those around me who are hurting. Just because I wasn't given this spiritual gift doesn't mean I shouldn't strive towards being a caring person. I want to be a caring person. I want my children and husband to see a caring heart and attitude exemplified in my life.

Having said that, there are times, I must admit, that I wish I could be a little bit like Dr. House, in the sense that he can tell it like it is and get away with it. Sometimes I think I was taught to be too guarded in my opinions, for fear that I will lose a friend, get fired, be unlikeable, not be considered "Christ-like", and the list could go on and on. But there are times that the truth must be spoken, and when done in love it's appropriate. I'm very grateful for a friend with whom I have this kind of "say it like it is" relationship. She's my best friend, and we know that we can say anything without having to be guarded all the time. Yes, the truth hurts. But someone needs to tell us for our own good. I am so grateful I have her in my life.

My tangent will now end. If you haven't seen House, and you like medical drama, check the show out. It airs on Tuesday nights (varying times) on Global. Last night's episode was particularly thought-provoking.

No comments: