Friday, January 3, 2014

Why "F.A.T. and Beautiful"?

In 2014 it is my goal to become "FAT-ter" . . . more Faithful, more Available and more Teachable. (Thanks to my sister, Connie, who shared that acronym with me a few weeks ago).  And, with God's help, I ask that the circumstances of my life will cultivate the inner beauty that He desires for me.

"Your adornment must not be merely external—braiding the hair, and wearing gold jewelry, or putting on dresses; but let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in the sight of God."
~1 Peter 3:3-4 (NASB)~

"But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look at his appearance or at the height of his stature, because I have rejected him; for God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”
~1 Samuel 16:7 (NASB)~

I look forward to exploring these concepts this year on my blog.  As I mentioned in my December 31, 2013 post, one of the things I felt God was speaking to me about last year was letting go of my outward appearance in order to begin working on the inner beauty that He desires for me.  I don't plan to "let myself go" in the traditional sense of the phrase, but rather, focus on creating a more beautiful heart.  Often my heart is so ugly I can hardly bear it.  However, I know that God has much bigger and better plans for my heart.  

I'm giddy with excitement and anticipation about how this year is going to unfold.  I feel so much more at peace when facing the future when I have placed everything into God's hands.  I'm not sure why I chose to live the way I did for so many years of my adult life (that is, trying to keep control over so many things by my own power), but I feel so free in knowing that, while I don't know what the future holds, I know who holds the future.  And that gives me peace.  A beautiful peace.

1 comment:

Connie Mae Inglis said...

I can totally relate to your past obsession with control. I was a control freak too. It doesn't work, does it. I LOVE the freedom there is in Jesus when we let Him be in control. Yes, so freeing. Sometimes I feel like I'm walking on air!!!! Woohooooo!