Saturday, November 30, 2013

Post-Op DAY 4

Today I finally feel like I'm beginning to be myself again . . . more energy, more mobility with my neck, even though the swelling immediately surrounding the incision is still bad.  However, I'm beginning to see the definition between my chin and neck now, which is a good thing, I guess.  But it still looks like I've got a SUPER-puffed-out neck . . . like I'm some kind of male bird trying to attract a mate with my puffed-up self.

Today I didn't require any naps during the day, and returned to doing some of my normal activities.  It's month-end for my boys at their on-line school, which means lots of extra work for me in helping them scan and submit all their month-end assignments, which is a lot.  Doing that with them took up the majority of the morning.  I rested in the afternoon, but I didn't actually sleep, which I think that means I'm getting better.  Last night I directed the setting-up of the Christmas tree.  My involvement was minimal, because by the evening I was feeling quite a bit of pain again.  But at least it's beginning to look a bit like Christmas around here.  That elevates my mood tremendously, because I LOVE Christmas!  It's my favourite time of year.  I can hardly wait to get started on the baking . . . but that will have to wait until next weekend at the earliest. 

I haven't removed the most-recent bandage to check on the stitches in the last day, so I'm not sure what's happening under there with my incision.  I can tell that it's still really swollen, just by looking at my neck.  However, the pain isn't as bad and I've been able to reduce my pain meds by less than half.  I'm only taking the occasional Tylenol or Ibuprofen now, rather than the 2-pills every-four-hours like I was earlier in the week.

Last night I finally returned to my own bed and slept there.  I don't feel the need to be propped-up anymore, which is what sleeping on the couch allowed me to do.  I had a good sleep.

So yes, I think that Post-Op Day 4 is when I can finally say that I'm beginning to feel more like how I was pre-surgery, although my swollen neck is something that I have yet to get used to.  That part of my body needs more time, I guess.  I'll just have to wait.  My throat is also very sore . . . like a sore throat you get when you are at the beginning stages of having a cold.

I plan to return to work on Monday, so we'll see how that goes.  I'll report back with more information on Tuesday, after I see a doctor to have my stitches removed.


Michelle said...

Dear Kimmy,

I hope that you are feeling soooo much better today! I have been trying to make the time to comment every day since you started posting about your surgery, but with the extra long Thanksgiving weekend and all that entails, I just haven't had much computer time. I want you to know that I have been praying for you and for your quick recovery.

As far as Christmas preparations are concerned, I made my first pan of Nanaimo bars on Wednesday and they are all gone already (I did give half the pan away as a hostess gift though) and we are still working on getting our Christmas tree set up after some string light complications. Enjoy this wonderful holiday season! Christmas is my favourite time of year as well.

Michelle said...

How did your appointment go? I really hope that the doctor gave you nothing but encouraging news as far as your healing journey goes. I'm continuing to pray for you.