Monday, August 23, 2010

Reasons Why

Pursuant to my last post, I was thinking that perhaps I led everyone to believe that I think there is no benefit to my children "growing up".  On the contrary, I've spent the last couple of days attempting to view their development as a positive thing, not negative. 

Here are some random Reasons Why I am okay with them growing up:

1.  They can make their own breakfast.  This is a huge time saver for me in the mornings.
2.  They do not require me to change their diapers, since they mastered potty-training quite some time ago;  They can also dress themselves.
3.  They can help out with yard work.  The boys have assumed the role of lawn-mower personnel this summer.  It has been SO helpful.
4.  They can fold and put away their own laundry.
5.  They can help entertain their younger cousins.
6.  They can communicate with me--I don't have to take a guess at what their cries are about--they pretty much always tell me.
7.  They can be left unattended for short periods of time . . . they do not follow me around the house constantly, asking, "What are you doing?".
8.  They can help take care of our pets.
9.  They can run their own showers or baths.
10. They can play more complex board games with the family.
11.  They can wash their own hands before and after a meal.
12.  They don't freak out every time their mother leaves their sight.
13.  They sleep through the night.

I really have enjoyed being an active participant in my boys' lives as they've grown up to this point.  But I get the feeling that the last 9-11 years has been a cakewalk compared to what is coming . . .

No comments: