Monday, January 12, 2009

Black Forest Brownies and Cheese Pull-Aparts

Last week it was my turn to provide a birthday treat for a colleague at school, so I opted to make Black Forest Brownies. Some of you got wind of this and asked for the recipe, so, here it is. I'm also adding another recipe for Cheese Pull-Aparts which I mentioned several months ago on my blog . . . sorry it has taken me so long to do post these recipes. I wish I had pictures to go along with the recipes, but alas, I don't. I really should take photos of things I bake.

BLACK FOREST BROWNIES

Layer 1: The Brownies
*Note: This part is my own brownie recipe, called Fudgy Brownies. You could substitute any brownie recipe for the base.

1 C. margarine
4 T. cocoa powder
2 C. sugar
4 eggs
1 1/3 C. flour
1 tsp. vanilla
2 C. chopped nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13 in. baking pan. On very low heat, melt margarine and cocoa together in a 3 qt. saucepan. Melt, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in sugar. Add eggs, one at a time and beat hard after each addition, until well blended. Add the flour and vanilla (and nuts, if desired) and stir to blend. Pour into baking pan and bake for 30 - 35 minutes, until tested done with toothpick. Cool in pan. Cut edges with a sharp knife before adding the next layer.

Layer 2: The Creamy Cheesy Party
Soften an 8 0z. pkg. of cream cheese. Beat with 1/3 - 1/2 C. whipping cream, until smooth. Add 1/2 C. sugar (you may add more or less to your personal sweetness preference). Combine and whip until fluffy. Spread over cooled brownie layer. Refrigerate for approx. 30 minutes or until cream cheese layer is set.

Layer 3: The Cherries and Chocolate
Spoon a can of cherry pie filling over the cream cheese layer.
Melt 3/4 C. chocolate chips with 1 T. margarine in the microwave. Add a few drops of cream to obtain the desired consistency so that you can spoon the chocolate over the cherries and swirl. I have also used an icing bag to stream the chocolate over the cherries.

The last step: Chill until you are ready to serve. Eat and enjoy.

**Cook's Comments: I kind of "made-up" this recipe, so that's why some of the directions are a bit vague with regards to measurements. But I think if you follow my suggestions, it will turn out and be sure to be a hit.
-----------------------------------------------

CHEESE PULL-APARTS

Dough:
1/2 C. white sugar
3 C. warm water
2 x 1/4 oz. active dry yeast

2 large eggs
1/2 C. cooking oil
1 tsp. salt
9 C. (approximately) all-purpose flour

Filling:
1/2 C. butter or hard margarine, softened
2 C. grated cheese, cheddar or marble

Stir sugar in warm water in large bowl. Sprinkle yeast over top. Let stand 10 minutes. Stir to dissolve yeast.

Mix eggs, cooking oil and salt. Work in enough flour until dough pulls away from sides of bowl. Turn onto floured surface. Knead 8 to 10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Divide dough into 4 equal parts. Roll 1 part at a time, 1/4 inch thick into a 9 x 12 inch rectangle.

Spread each rectangle with 1/4 amount of butter, and 1/4 amount of cheese. Roll each rectangle up from long side. Cut into 1 inch slices. Place cut side down in greased muffin tins. Cover with tea towel and let stand in oven with light on and door closed for about 1 hour until doubled in size. Bake at 375 degrees F. for about 20 minutes. Turn out onto cooling rack.

4 comments:

Stacey said...

you are evil and wonderful all in the same breath!!!! :) can't wait to try both!

michelle said...

These recipes both look wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing. I will have to bookmark them for when I can get off of this crazy gestational diabetes diet and back to eating "real" food again. I don't miss the breads and sweets too much, but sometimes it would be nice to have some once in awhile without throwing my glucose numbers off.

It is good to see you posting a bit more again. I enjoy reading what you are up to, even though I don't always get a chance to comment.

Michelle

Brenda said...

Rats. I'm dieting. Sure sounds good though.

Kim said...

Your recipes sound sooooo good. I think I'm going to have to try them...yummy!! And that is so fun to meet through blogging!! I'll have to check back often. Thanks too for the really sweet comments on my blog.

Kim :)