Thursday, September 20, 2007

Is It Time for Bed Yet?

I am tired. Drained. Exhausted.

As of tomorrow, I've been employed part-time for one week. However, I've been at work every day this week, for 5 hours a day, just to get "the hang" of things at my new job. But after my first week, I'm not sure if I will ever get "the hang" of things. I've never worked in an accounting office, so my experience in this environment is pretty limited. I get the administrative stuff. I just don't get the accounting stuff. Yet.

Right now I am feeling really overwhelmed with all the new stuff I'm learning, and just getting into the groove of working outside of the home again. Thankfully, our morning routine is going really well . . . way better than I expected. The boys have been exceptionally cooperative and we've had time to spare each morning since I began working.

It's the time from now (almost 4:00 p.m.) until right after supper that I seem to be lacking in my ability to accomplish much of anything. I'm tired. My brain is fried. And I can see all that needs to be done around me, but my weary body doesn't provide the energy I require to get everything done that I expect to on any given afternoon or evening.

If you came to my house you might not think I have any reason to be feeling overwhelmed. For the most part I've been able to keep our surroundings pretty tidy this week. But I've got to kick it up a notch tonight and tomorrow (after work) because on Saturday, any family living in the surrounding area is coming over to celebrate a joint birthday party for my brother, Scotty, and my son, Mitchell. Scotty's birthday was last Friday. Mitchell's is on Monday. So, we're combining the two parties together and celebrating at our house.

My menu plan is pretty basic. I'm making pizza from scratch (four kinds: meat, vegetarian, Hawaiian and four-cheese); my mom is bringing a Caesar salad; we've also got chips and pop; and my brother's wife is bringing the birthday cake. So it's not really the food prep that's overwhelming me. It's the fact that I need to thoroughly clean my house prior to anyone setting a foot through our doors. And cleaning takes energy. And right now, I have no energy.

All I want to do is crawl into my luxurious bed and go to sleep.

P.S. I've also got to start doing my laundry tonight instead of tomorrow night, if there is any chance of my laundry being caught-up prior to the party. It's going to be a long night.

3 comments:

Story of our Life said...

I've stumbled upon your lovely blog. I don't have time this evening to respond and/or read like I want to. However, I will!! I would love to read your blog about parenting a child with RAD. I was a parent of a chidl with severe RAD that ended in TPR last year. He was with us for 8 yrs. He will be with me forever in my heart. :)

Becky said...

Be sure to say a happy birthday to Scotty from Glen and me!

Anonymous said...

have a great celebration!