Friday, September 28, 2007

Great Is Thy Faithfulness

Today was a beautiful fall day. Mitchell and Ty had a day off from school, so it was great to enjoy some time outdoors with them. We went on a tour of our yard and marvelled at the beauty of the world we're so blessed to be a part of.

I took the above pictures today. Our trees have really started changing color in the last few week or so. We've got two Tamaracks, which are pine trees that actually lose their needles in fall. In winter, they look dead; but in spring, new growth emerges and during the summer they are a beautiful light green shade. But to my amazement, their needles actually change color prior to falling off! The background picture and the picture in the lower right hand corner are pictures of our Tamaracks. I don't know why I'm so mesmerized by them . . . I wasn't expecting their needles to change color . . . I thought they'd just stay green and fall off. But here they are, changing into a beautiful golden shade right before my very own eyes!

This is our first fall at the acreage. We officially began our journey to purchase this place just over a year ago, in mid-September 2006. After many inspections of the house, septic system, water supply, furnace, etc. and the final sale of our old home, we made this place ours and moved in on December 20, 2006. It's hard to believe that it's been a whole year since we began dreaming of owning this place. Once again, God proved to be faithful and answered our prayers with a resounding "YES" and has blessed us with this amazing place.


A while ago someone asked me what my dream home would be like. I told them: "I already live in it." And truly, I do. Yes, our house is old. It was built in 1923 and moved on to a partial basement in the late 70's, with some minor cosmetic upgrades in the distant past. Yes, there is a lot of work yet to be done to get it to my ideal specifications. However, due to many factors, the interior renos haven't occurred as quickly as I had originally hoped. But that's okay. I still love it here. I love the character of our home. It is a home like no other. It is unique in its design and I've never seen another house like it. While it has some flaws, it is still my dream . . . and our yard is amazing. Evergreen trees totally encompass our 17 acres, and the rest of the yard is full of other trees and shrubs. The original owners of this property put a lot of time and effort into landscaping the yard. I've yet to meet them (they live in the town nearby), but when and if I do, I will be expressing my gratitude for their foresight in planning the yard.

I could just sit and cry over how much this acreage has blessed us. The timing for everything was perfect. It was God's timing, not ours. And while, at the time I was impatient for the logistics of buying this place to be worked out, God knew what we needed and when we needed it. Our place, which once was just potentially ours, is now our home. It is a home where we give and receive love. It is a home where we sense God's presence through nature. It is a home where new found freedoms can be explored and developed. It is a home of safety and security. It is a home where God's love and faithfulness abounds.

Great is Thy Faithfulness
words by Thomas O. Chisholm
music by William M. Runyan

Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father;
There is no shadow of turning with Thee;
Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not;
As Thou hast been, Thou forever will be.


Great is Thy faithfulness!
Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see.
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided;
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!

Summer and winter and springtime and harvest,
Sun, moon and stars in their courses above
Join with all nature in manifold witness
To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love.

Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth
Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!

Click here to hear this hymn . . . no lyrics, just music. You can sing along!


7 comments:

Becky said...

Gorgeous! I'd love to go for a walk out there!

Melissa said...

Oh- I love it! :) Wow, it is so neat to see how the Lord really does give us just what we need! :)

glad your celebrating His Faithfulness...


PTL!
Mel

Stacey said...

so beautiful!! i love character! i know you will take your name and truly make it yours with all the details you really want!

Susannah said...

God is indeed faithful! A beautiful post, and what a fabulous home, plus acreage. Wow. We love older homes too (ours was built in 1909). The character and detailing just can't be found in newer houses.

BTW, speaking of homes, you might be interested to know that Marriage Monday has a new home. If you're planning to post your marriage wisdom any time this week (open topic) I'd love to have you link up at Chrysalis. Think about it!

Blessings, e-Mom

Chris said...

beautiful place! A dream of ours as well. One day at a time, right? :)

Kristy said...

What a beautiful post, Kimmy.

Jan Parrish said...

Kim, how beautiful! We have similar tastes in that I love antiques too. My motto is if it's antique or it looks like it belongs in a castle, I'll love it. :) Thanks for stopping by my blog.