Tuesday, June 12, 2007

David: A Man After God's Own Heart

http://i.biblio.com/b/758m/34580758-0-m.jpg

In our family devotions right now we are in the thick of King David stories. I'm not sure about the rest of the family, but I'm eating this all up. I can hardly stop myself from reading ahead in The Bible Story book, just so that I can find out what happens next. Of course, I know what happens next most of the time, but it's been a while since I've read through II Samuel and II Chronicles where David's life is recorded.


I've been following along in my own Bible (for personal devotions) as we read from The Bible Story book. Not that I don't trust the accuracy of the devotional book. I do. And it has got the stories down pat. But I like to read it from my Bible because sometimes the wording is different and it brings out more of the key elements applicable to an adult when I use the "real" Bible. And of course they couldn't possibly include every one of David's stories in the children's book.

What I've been totally impressed with is that David tried to seek God in all he did. Well, of course there were errors in judgment and bad decisions at times, but after all, he was human. The way David's life is portrayed in The Bible Story series is that he went to God as his final source in all decision-making. I found this particularly interesting in the sense that he'd ask God whether or not he should fight with a certain group of people, and God's reply was "Yes, fight, and you will win". Imagine going into a war with another country, knowing you will win even before you start!

I face battles in my life everyday. They may be physical battles; spiritual battles; emotional battles; battles for my time; battles for my mind. They are all around me. I'd like to think that by my asking God about these battles, His reply to me would be "Yes, fight, and you will win". Of course I know that one day, God will defeat the enemy completely. I look forward to that day and anticipate when I'll be able to meet God face to face and live in Eternity with Him.

Our pastor often challenges us to think about how we want to be remembered when we leave this world. What would we like our epitaph to say? I'd like mine to read: "Kimberly . . . . A Woman After God's Own Heart."

High expectations? Yes. Easy to do? No. But I'm trying.

1 comment:

Susannah said...

Beautiful. Yes, wouldn't it be a blessing to be remembered as a woman after God's own heart! Like you, I thoroughly enjoyed the children's versions of the OT Bible stories when our kids were small. (And I know they did too.) It's a wonderful way to lay a solid foundation of faith in kids' lives. :~)