Tuesday, March 27, 2007

My Job, My Boys and Water Extraction

Aside from my all-important job of being a wife and mother, I have ventured into the world of education. In my February 8, 2007 post entitled "No Job", I stated that I did not get the job that I applied for in our local school as an Educational Assistant. However, what I failed to mention is that I was put onto the substitute list in the event that one of the regular E.A.'s couldn't work for some reason. I was also placed in the substitute Secretary list.

A month went by without any work. But in the last few weeks, I've worked 3 times as an E.A. and tomorrow I'll be the school secretary for the day.

I'm so grateful for this opportunity to get involved in the community in this way. So far my experience has been great working with the kids. My only shock came when I entered the staff room and found myself in the middle of a complaint-session about the kids. Every time I've been in the staff room, a negative tone has emerged. I choose not to participate in these discussions, but I sit there thinking to myself, "Why are you educating children if you don't like them?" I'm not even sure if it's that. Maybe they just don't find joy in what they're doing. I've actually been quite discouraged about my experience in the "behind-the-scenes" part of my job. But I must say for the record, that there are never any actual teachers in the staff room when these negative discussions occur. This jargon occurs between the support staff. Perhaps I'm just catching these people on "bad days". I hope so. I'd like to think that the teachers who teach my children are actually enjoying the kids they teach.

Today Mitchell has an Oratory Presentation in front of his class. Unfortunately, parents are not allowed to attend. I guess some of the kids are too nervous for a huge audience. Understandably so. Mitchell insisted on wearing his dress pants, dress shirt, tie and vest for the presentation. He's reciting a poem entitled "Dinosaur Dinner" by Dennis Lee. I sure wish I could be there!

Ty's at home since there's no Kindergarten today. I'm expecting him to be asking me shortly, "When will Mitchell be home?" He really misses his brother when Mitchell's at school and he's not. We're all going to be very happy when Ty gets to attend Gr. 1 so that he can go to school every day as well.


Today my list of tasks includes extracting water from the carpet in our basement. Ughhhhh! Not fun. On the weekend we discovered that we've got water seeping up from the ground (or so it seems) and into our basement. A LOT of melting has occurred here in the last week or so, and I think it's happening too fast and the ground isn't able to deal with it as quickly as it should; therefore, the water has nowhere to go but into our basement. It's only happening against one wall (thank goodness!) so at this point it's manageable. I just keep laying out fresh towels against the wall and extracting the water with my carpet shampooer.
I hope we don't have to replace the entire carpet in the basement as a result of this. Wayne already has plans on how to remedy this problem so that it doesn't happen next year. But at the moment it's a problem. A big problem!

No comments: