Monday, October 30, 2006

Kim, Kimmy, Kimberly? Who am I?

So, before I continue on with this blogging thing, I wanted to clarify why I've chosen the name "Kimmy" for my official name to leave comments with, etc. Well, it basically comes down to the fact that "Kim" is a very common name, followed closely by the lesser-common name of Kimberly or Kimberley (mine is the "ly" spelling). I thought I'd be more original and use the name "Kimmy" for posting. Not too many "Kimberly's" go by "Kimmy". BUT, "Kimmy" is what my very dear friends and family call me. People who don't know this think that "Kimmy" as a nick-name sounds childish and immature (remember the character Kimmy from Full House? - ditzorama!). But it is those who are closest to me who have the freedom to call me by this name. It's sort of a term of endearment. I grew up with 4 older sisters and one younger brother (Scotty D - some of you may know him), and apparently I was called "Kimmy" or "Kimby" until I hit the public school system. Then my name got shortened to "Kim". Just like that. I'm realizing that people like to shorten names if possible. (More on that later, with regards to the names of my sons). I tried to expand my name to "Kimberly" in grade 5, but it didn't hold for long, especially with my friends. So, back to "Kim" I was. I tried to change the spelling later on in life (like, when I was in my late teens) to Kym, just for some originality, but that didn't stick either. So, here I am with the very common name "Kim", which I like, except for the fact that in the late 60's/early 70's a lot of people chose to name their daughters this name. And thus, there are quite a number of thirtysomethings with this name. The one good thing about it is that it's pretty much a no-brainer when you have to give your name to someone over the phone. I never get asked, "How do you spell that?" My last name is a different story, but I'll leave that for another day. And the fact that Kim is short for Kimberly is kind of cool too. I sign anything legal/formal/important as Kimberly. But, I never introduce myself as Kimberly, unless I'm speaking to someone who would have me in their "files" as Kimberly (i.e. Gov't of Canada, doctor's office, etc.).

So, when naming our boys, we decided to give them names that could be shortened if they so chose to later in life. Their names are Thomas, Mitchell and Tyrone. We never call Thomas "Tom", we rarely call Mitchell "Mitch", but for some reason we call Tyrone "Ty" A LOT. In school my boys all go by their full names, except for Tyrone. He's in Kindergarten and the teacher asked him if he wanted to be called "Tyrone" or "Ty" at school. He chose "Ty" and I'm okay with that. I just think having the option to alternate their names if they choose to, is kind of enjoyable. I do know, however, people who despise names that can be shortened or lengthened. My best friend doesn't like names like that, and granted, the names for her kids can't be altered. So, I guess it's everyone's personal choice.

So, anyone out there with these "expandable, extensible, shortenable" names? Please let me know if you like this kind of name, the pros and cons, and your experience with trying to get people to call you by the longer version of your name, when they insist on shortening it.

The one thing I have come to realize is that your name is a gift, chosen by your parents, which will affect you in a positive or negative way throughout your lifetime. So for those of you who are expecting a baby, or planning a future with kids, give serious thought to the name of your child, as well as the initials that will be produced by name combinations. Sometimes I'm shocked at the initials babies end up with and I think to myself, "Didn't they write the name out and try out the initials before they chose this name?" I personally obsess over names, and even though my days of having babies are probably over, I still dream of "naming the baby." I love names and researching names and checking out their meanings and alternate spellings, etc. I think one of my favorite parts of pregnancy was picking the name. Anyone else enjoy this?

1 comment:

Becky said...

I love names that can be shortened or lengthened too. My boys names are Samuel and Benjamin and when we were picking them I tried out all of the possible nicknames and loved each of them. My only girl name (still unused) can't be lengthened or shortened though... Oh well.

Incidently, there are only three people in my life who have ever called me by my full name... My dad, Glen, and your brother. And my dad and Glen only do it when they are exasperated with me. Oh wait... Barb called me Rebekah sometimes too.